Friday, May 15, 2009

How about some Happy Fish?


We had sushi a few nights ago. I love sushi.

I know a little about the perils of over-fishing, but I have to admit I didn't think about it before, during or after the meal. Yesterday I read this article about a DC chef who is working to raise awareness about having yummy seafood and being sustainable, too. I love his attitude -- he agrees that sustainability isn't about denying ourselves, it's about making good choices. I'm not going to dub this guy a hero, but he's on the right track.

So, this morning I checked out this Seafood Guide published by the Blue Ocean Institute. They have analyzed seafood based on abundance and on the environmental impact of catching and/or farm-raising practices. Take a look. Think about it.

It turns out we did pretty well -- the one piece we had that has a status problem is Mackerel.


Fishthumb image courtesy of www.sputnikdesignworks.com

No comments: