Monday, April 5, 2010

Drill Baby Drill: Holding my nose.

President Obama is becoming quite the straddler. Two recent issues have him standing on either side of the conflict between the environment and the economy.

In this piece by Eric Smith from the Washington Post,
we see an argument that his recently announced offshore drilling policy may not be as terrible as many greenies fear. I don't like seeing this happen now, but if safeguards are effectively deployed, I am afraid it probably fall into the category of inevitable.

I'm less likely to forgive the Obama administration if they do not substantively retreat from supporting the previous administration's mining policies, which seems like it is in doubt according to this piece by the AP's Judith Kohler (in the WaPo).

I appreciate that President Obama is trying to find common ground between conservatives and liberals, business and environmental activists, and all of the other old polarities. I don't have to like the individual decisions, and I'm pretty sure I don't like these.

No comments: